Several of my blogger buddies have nominated me for awards, so I thought it’d be fun to respond!
(By the end of this, you’ll know far more about me than you care to.)
The awards have the same basic rules:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- List random things about yourself.
- Nominate other blogs you like and notify the blog owner
- Display the thumbnail
A great big Muchas Gracias to my sweet friend and fellow writer Sandi Nieto, who nominated me for the Sunshine award. Her Clayzmama blog is well-known to anyone who’s ever seen my Friday posts.
So here are 7 random things:
- My middle name is Hope, hence the header on my site, the Romans 15:13 verse and all the other hope verses I post. And all the “hope” coffee mugs in my cabinet.
- I can do 20 “man” push ups.
- I love Amish Friendship Bread (which is really CAKE) and I keep “starts” of it.
- I enjoy food prep (yes, the mundane peeling, seeding, dicing… LOVE IT)
- I like long drives by myself and can drive for hours in complete silence.
- I can program almost anything programmable.
- I can close my eyes and fall asleep almost anywhere.
The Liebester award is given to upcoming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. The meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing and welcome.
I took the follower gadget off a long time ago, so I guess I technically have NO followers, which is why I qualify for this award. I sure-as-heck don’t meet all those other qualifications!
Liebster calls for 11 random facts:
- When I was a student at Virginia Tech, I minored in math. (Dorky, huh?)
- I love country music. (I’m a Southerner. It’s required)
- I’m driving my dream car: a 2010 Ford Escape.
- I dance around my house for no reason.
- I was the drum major in my high school band.
- The Bible study that changed my walk: Experiencing God, followed closely by Calm My Anxious Heart
- I’m obsessed with the sky. I’ll stop in mid-sentence to comment on it.
- I can keep a baseball scorebook. And I’m seriously tough with it.
- I love to mow my yard. (See? WEIRD. Keep reading)
- I love wearing high heels, but slip them off as soon as I sit down.
- I used to be a decent USTA player (tennis)
- Morning person or night owl? Morning! I try not to be obnoxious, though
- What is something God is teaching you lately? “Apply your heart to instruction” (Prov 23:12). As much as I’d like to do some creative and freelance writing, He’s calling me to study.
- What do you know now that you wish you knew 5 years ago? That my kids were going to be accepted to their colleges of choice.
- Walmart or Target? Target
- Do you have a schedule for posting blogs and have everything prewritten or do you freestyle and only post when you’re divinely inspired? I used to freestyle but the Lord lit a fire under me this summer. I’m scheduled out for about a month, but I still review each post the night before and tweak it!
- Would you rather see a movie at the theater or at home on DVD? Why? Home. I freeze in the theater and I need bathroom breaks!
- Where would you like to live one day? I’d love to live way out in the mountains of southwestern VA or western NC (just make sure I have an internet connection)
- If you had to choose a favorite book of the Bible, what would it be and why? Philippians because of all the joy
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go? Greece
- My favorite television show: So You Think You Can Dance (because deep down, I do)
- What recent blessing from the Lord would you like to share? I turned 50 this month and my friends and family threw me 2 surprise parties
One last thing about me –
I’ll be blogging for Compassion International beginning in September. It’s perfect timing since September is Compassion’s Blog Month!
Their goal is 3,108 children sponsored between Sept. 1 and Sept. 30, and I’ll be posting on assignment. We sponsor two kids in El Salvador (Oscar and Eunice) and my dream is to go there on a Compassion Blogging Tour and meet them one day!
Ok, for my nominations. All these folks are favorites but my ADD has kicked in and this is all I can manage for now:
Hester Christensen - Hester has a passion for teaching and challenging women to press on to maturity in Christ.
Jamie Britt - I met sweet Jamie last fall at a writer’s retreat, and we became fast friends. She was born blind and faces more struggles than you can shake a stick at, but inspires everyone who knows her with her faith and perseverance.
Kristi Butler - Kristi taught transitional kindergarden and writes books for children. She has 2 books about the adventures of her groundhog friends, Gracie and Grover.
Diane Bailey - Di is an author and a photographer, and she creates and shares her gorgeous scripture photos on her website.
Julia Tomiak – A fellow Virginian, Julia is a voracious reader and posts interesting reviews and thoughts about all things literary. She’ll also improve your vocabulary!
Jeannette Duwe - Jeannette encourages ordinary moms seeking an extraordinary God! She also broke her foot Monday morning, so please breathe a prayer for her quick healing!
Kim Vander Poel - The title of her blog is “Kim’s Ponderings Beyond Breast Cancer” and that says it all. She also posts great health tips.
Anna Popescu – Anna posts some of the most uplifting messages and image art you’ll find anywhere.
Karen Lembo – love the title of her blog, “Living Above The Laundry Pile” Karen has an ambitious schedule and posts DAILY.
Celeste Vaughn – I love her tag line: Educating, Encouraging and Empowering others to a life of freedom in Christ!
Marisa Bernard – This is who you turn to if you want to eat healthier or know about the healing properties of foods.
Sarah Stilwell – Last but not least, my sweet daughter. If you want to remember what it was like to be a college co-ed, read her blog and have a flashback. She promises to post more regularly, but studying gets in the way of that sometimes
Girls, take your pick — Liebster or Sunshine or BOTH.